New York, NY and Los Angeles, CA (November 19, 2013) – Delos®, the pioneer of Wellness Real Estate™, is pleased to announce the world’s first commercial office space to be certified under the WELL™ Building Standard pilot program at CBRE Group, Inc.’s new Global Corporate Headquarters in Downtown Los Angeles. Through the integration of Delos’ evidence-based wellness designs and technologies, CBRE—which is the global leader in commercial real estate services and investment—will offer an office environment that optimizes the health and well-being of its employees and sets a new standard for healthy office spaces.
A result of six years of research, development and collaboration with a board of researchers and doctors from Columbia University Medical School, as well as with architects, engineers and contractors, Delos’ WELL Building Standard, which is currently in pilot, is the first building standard focused exclusively on enhancing people’s health and well-being through the built environment. WELL certification will be available through the International WELL Building Institute following the pilot phase.
CBRE’s new headquarters incorporates Delos’ state-of-the-art designs and innovative wellness features, such as smart lighting systems, energy absorbing flooring, advanced air purification, water filtration systems and anti-microbial coatings on all surfaces. Delos is pioneering innovative solutions for health and wellness in homes, hotels, schools and now offices, among other building types.
“The Wellness aspect of our new office adds a critical element to our work environment by creating a place where people feel energized and want to be every day, and where they are able to be focused and productive,” said Lewis C. Horne, executive managing director of greater Los Angeles and Orange County for CBRE. “We are very proud to be breaking new ground with Delos by modeling a healthier way of working for our employees, as well as for our clients who may be considering WELL Certification for their own offices.”
Creating a new office environment that will change the way people work, the new WELL Certified and LEED Gold Certified office features more than 50 groundbreaking health and wellness features, including:
- WELLShield™: photo-catalytic coating on all surfaces breaks down bacteria, viruses and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) on bacteria-susceptible surfaces to prevent the spreading of germs and bacteria within the office.'
- UV Air Sanitizer: designed to disinfect the air with the application of ultraviolet light within the ventilation system to sterilize airborne bacteria, viruses, dust mites, and mold spores that may have escaped filtration.
- VOC Reduction: all interior furniture and finishes are manufactured to eliminate VOC's to assist in maintaining high indoor air quality.
- Advanced Air Filtration: the most advanced air purification system reduces allergens, toxins and pathogens, creating better air quality and breathing.
- Advanced Water Purification: reduces disinfectant byproducts, chlorine, pesticides and some pharmaceutical and personal care products for the cleanest, most purified tap and sink water.
- Advanced Lighting: helps to minimize disruption of the body’s circadian system, enhance worker productivity and provide appropriate visual acuity to employees through an advanced lighting system that contains controllable and dimmable LED lighting fixtures, along with light and occupancy sensors.
- Non Porous Countertops: prevents the collection of food particles that encourage bacteria growth.
- Dietary and Nutrition Info on Display: provides nutrition awareness and promotes healthy eating habits.
- Cleaning Protocol: specialized chemical-free cleaning supplies and techniques for cleaning protocols, including vacuuming, mopping, dusting and ventilation cleaning.
- EMF Shielding: protects against electrical equipment and wiring that emanates disruptive EMFs.
- Hydration Stations: stations placed every 100 feet with highly filtered, cold water to help encourage hydration for employees.
- Wellness Concierge: provides health and wellness guidance for employees.
- Wellness Library: an electronic library which offers current information, periodicals and key health research for employees.
- Exercise/Stretching Zones: a stretching and relaxation area for employees on each floor.
- Cardiovascular Equipment: improves cardiovascular health and encourages employees to be less sedentary through the use of equipment like Treadmill Desks.
- Inviting Stairways: encourages employees to use the stairways through unique and enticing artwork, as well as through enhanced lighting, design and biophilic elements, which make stairways inviting and pleasant to use.
- Cleveland Clinic WELL Tip of the Day: disseminated via office technology and email distribution channels, the tips will help to educate employees on healthy living.
- Biophilic Air Treatment: assists in cleaning the air through certain plants which filter harmful VOCs and CO2 from the air, while providing a source of fresh oxygen.
- Juice Station: extracts and blends juice from fruits and vegetables adding to nutritive health.
- Non-toxic Paint and Low LRV Surfaces (walls, ceilings, furniture panels): paints that use water as a carrier instead of petrochemical solvents have very low levels of VOCs in their pigments/additives compared to all other types of paints and therefore tend to have a lower level of toxic chemicals.
- Ergonomic Furniture: provides comfort and posture support for users with varying physical backgrounds to help reduce stress and to provide varying and adjustable work environments.
- Healthy HVAC: a fully controllable and zonable heating, ventilation and air-conditioning system that drives internal air circulation.
“The office is a place where people spend a lot of their time, and investing in employees – and especially in their health and well-being – is one of the most important things a company can do,” said Paul Scialla, founder of Delos. “We are tremendously excited to introduce the world’s first WELL Certified office with CBRE, which will actively enhance the health and well-being of employees through Delos’ evidence-based health and wellness designs and ultimately increase productivity, energy and efficiency.”
Mr. Scialla and Dr. Deepak Chopra, world renowned health and wellness expert, presented the first WELL Certified seal to CBRE on Thursday, November 7, 2013 at the grand opening of the CBRE headquarters.
“As a professional services and investment firm, our most important asset is our people, so providing a workplace environment that improves the way we work today, while enhancing our overall health and well-being, is a top priority,” said Laura O’Brien, CBRE’s global head of human resources and workplace strategy. “By incorporating these features into our workplace, we are sending a message to our employees that we value the role health and wellness plays in a happy and successful work life.”
In addition to its wellness features, CBRE’s new office is a 100% free-address environment across two floors, with no permanently assigned offices or workstations and more than 15 different types of spaces for both individual and collaborative work. The new office is one of CBRE’s first “Workplace360” offices in the United States. Workplace360 is CBRE’s Alternate Workplace Strategy initiative, which maximizes employee collaboration and productivity through technology, space utilization, sustainability, mobility and enhanced flexibility.
Until now, Delos has worked in the residential and hospitality sectors, completing its first commissioned loft space in Manhattan in 2011 and introducing 42 Stay Well™ hotel rooms at MGM Grand Hotel & Casino in 2012. Most recently, Delos announced Leonardo DiCaprio as a board member and an early investor in the company. By the end of 2013, Delos will complete both the world’s first residences and the world’s first restaurant to be certified under the WELL Building Standard pilot program. The residences will be located in New York City’s Greenwich Village at 66 East 11th Street, and the restaurant will be located in Tarzana, CA at LYFE Kitchen’s third location.
A U.S.-based real estate developer, Delos® has pioneered Wellness Real Estate™, which incorporates amenities that help sustain both the environment and enhance residents' health and well-being. Delos designs include an array of innovative, built-in amenities that research suggests will improve various aspects of individual occupant health including: cardiovascular, respiratory and sleep health, orthopedic health, weight and metabolism management, stress reduction, mood enhancement, cognition and memory enhancement, health literacy and health behavior motivation.
The Delos Advisory Board includes a distinguished panel of luminaries in the fields of wellness, science, public policy, real estate and business. Advisors include: Leonardo DiCaprio, leading philanthropist, sustainability advocate and award-winning actor; Dr. Deepak Chopra, world renowned health and wellness expert; the Honorable Dick Gephardt, former House of Representatives Majority Leader; Senator Mel Martinez, R-Fla. and former Senator and HUD Secretary; Jason McLennan, world renowned sustainable building expert; Dr. Michael Roizen, Chief Wellness Officer at Cleveland Clinic; Dr. Nicholas LaRusso, Director of the Center for Innovation at Mayo Clinic; Sue Firestone, Founder and Chairman of Smith/Firestone Associates; and Dolly Lenz, Former Vice Chairman of Prudential Douglas Elliman. More information on Delos and its Advisory Board is available at www.delosliving.com.