CBRE Group, Inc. (NYSE:CBG) was the top-ranked firm for commercial real estate investment sales globally during 2016, according to Real Capital Analytics (RCA). CBRE has achieved the number one global position in each of the six years that RCA has published global rankings, which are based on seller representation activity.
RCA credited CBRE with 22.2% of market share* across all property types in 2016 on a global basis—an 800 bps (basis points) lead over the nearest competitor. CBRE held the top spot in RCA’s global rankings for office, retail, industrial, apartment and development sites.
RCA—which tracks global commercial real estate sales of $10 million and greater—estimates that approximately $1.28 trillion of commercial real estate was sold throughout the world in 2016. CBRE’s global investment sales volume reached $129.0 billion—an increase in volume of 2.6% year-over-year, according to RCA.
CBRE was also the number one firm for commercial real estate investment sales in the Americas in 2016. RCA estimates that approximately $411.5 billion of commercial real estate was sold in the Americas during last year. CBRE’s investment sales volume in the Americas reached $76.2 billion across all property types for a market share* of 23.7%.
“A wave of global capital continues to have increased attraction to the real estate sector and this will drive transactions in the months ahead. The world’s leading Sovereign Wealth Funds control close to US$7 trillion in assets and currently allocate just three percent to commercial real estate. While some of these funds are already investing in global markets, others from countries such as Japan, are only just getting started,” said Chris Ludeman, Global President, Capital Markets, CBRE.
“The Chinese have become a force in global real estate as they seek to diversify and enhance returns, but government controls are slowing capital migration. That said, over a trillion Chinese-sourced dollars are already at work around the world and this can be recycled to a large extent. On the whole, Asian growth will continue in 2017, with more demand from Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and South Korea. The big Asia story for 2017, however, is likely to be Japan,” added Mr. Ludeman.
Highlights from RCA’s 2016 global rankings include:
- CBRE executed $51.7 billion in global office sales as seller representative, for an industry-leading market share of 21.7% in 2016.
- CBRE also claimed the top global position in retail sales as seller representative, with $18.0 billion in transactions—an increase in volume of 9.3% year-over-year. CBRE increased its global retail sales market share by 110 bps to 18.5% in 2016.
- CBRE was again the top global firm in logistics and industrial sales as seller representative, with $19.0 billion in transactions—an increase in volume of 3.4% year-over-year—for a market share of 32.3%.
- CBRE apartment sales totaled $31.1 billion as seller representative—an increase in volume of 16.7% year-over-year. CBRE increased its apartment sales market share to 23.7% in 2016.
- CBRE was again the top firm in development site sales as seller representative in 2016, with $5.2 billion in transactions and a market leading share of 24.1%.
- CBRE was also the leading buy-side broker globally.
* Market share has been calculated based on the dollar volume of transactions where CBRE represented the seller, divided by the total volume of seller-brokered transactions.
CBRE Group, Inc. (NYSE:CBG), a Fortune 500 and S&P 500 company headquartered in Los Angeles, is the world’s largest commercial real estate services and investment firm (based on 2016 revenue). The company has more than 75,000 employees (excluding affiliates), and serves real estate investors and occupiers through approximately 450 offices (excluding affiliates) worldwide. CBRE offers a broad range of integrated services, including facilities, transaction and project management; property management; investment management; appraisal and valuation; property leasing; strategic consulting; property sales; mortgage services and development services. Please visit our website at www.cbre.com.