2022-2023 CBRE Global Workplace & Occupancy Insights
Corporate real estate teams are challenged to establish a "new normal" for the workplace.
To stay ahead, teams need to adapt, experiment and implement increasingly flexible solutions—and deploy them at greater speed.
Portfolio optimization remains a top priority for corporate real estate leaders, but the intense focus on return-to-office planning and hybrid working is placing workplace strategy at the top of C-suite agendas. As a result, corporate real estate teams wield more influence—and also attract more scrutiny—than ever.
Figure 1: What are the goals of your corporate real estate team?
Source: CBRE 2022 Occupancy Benchmarking Program.
To provide these teams with better data and tools to navigate unchartered waters, CBRE’s Workplace & Occupancy Management team launched last year its annual Occupancy Benchmarking Program, which combines quantitative and qualitative data, and surveys of corporate real estate decision-makers to identify and track core occupancy metrics, and modern working and workplace design trends.
This year, 60 organizations participated in the program, representing 493 million sq. ft. (46 million sq. m.) across eight sectors. Their anonymized responses were aggregated into benchmarking dashboards that offer 50,000 unique workplace, occupancy and space management data points to deliver industry-leading global, regional and market-level perspectives by sector and asset type.
The 2022 results point to three areas of focus:
- Deploying hybrid working schemes that provide the flexibility desired by employees while ensuring they remain connected to their organizations virtually or in the office.
- Measuring metrics that help organizations understand how space is used in real time so that teams can optimize space within their portfolios to deliver the optimal balance of workstations, collaboration spaces and amenities.
- Using data to mitigate risk and inform future business decisions, with an emphasis on improving the data quality and integration into real estate and business decision-making.
For more information on CBRE’s Annual Occupancy Benchmarking Program, please reach out to [email protected].
2022 CBRE Occupancy Benchmarking Program by the numbers:
60 organizations participated
493 MSF / 46 MSM collectively managed by respondents
8 different sectors represented
- Article | Adaptive Spaces
July 5, 2022
Explore five global takeaways from CBRE’s Spring 2022 Asia Pacific, EMEA and U.S. Occupier Sentiment Surveys.
- Report | Creating Resilience
September 13, 2022
Corporate Real Estate and Facilities leaders face new pressures to decrease spending while improving resilience and accommodating new ways of working.
Insights in Your Inbox
Stay up to date on relevant trends and the latest research.