Chris Newkirk is a retail services broker with the CBRE retail team in Kansas City. Chris began his commercial real estate career in 2006, and as a retail specialist, he is active in both agency and occupier retail leasing. His understanding of the complexity of retail leases from both an agency and occupier perspective allow him to focus on the needs of his clients with a clear understanding of both sides of the transaction.
As a member of the Kansas City retail team, Chris assists in the real estate transaction by communicating and facilitating, gathering critical market information, negotiating, and representing their interests and goals. He successfully manages the various steps in this process and ensures that the established goals and necessary due diligence are achieved to meet the client’s strategic objectives. Chris represents clients in the greater Kansas City and surrounding areas, including markets such as Lawrence and Wichita, Kansas, as well as Springfield, Missouri.
Prior to joining CBRE, Chris was a member of the retail team with Kessinger Hunter. When Chris assumed leasing responsibilities at Crown Center, a mixed-use development with retail, office and residential, retail was the weakest sector. Chris worked with Crown Center to solidify its identity as a family entertainment district, signing SeaLife, Legoland, and Spin Pizza as new destination tenants. As a result, tenants’ sales improved, the identity of the shops was strengthened, and the result was a significant increase in demand for retail space in the shops, particularly in the restaurant category.
Chris is a native of Wichita, Kansas who brings his knowledge and expertise with mid sized markets to Kansas and Missouri.
Professional Affiliations / Accreditations
- Member of International Council of Shopping Centers
- Licensed Real Estate Agent in Kansas and Missouri
- Rockhurst University, MBA candidate
- Southern Methodist University, Master of Arts degree
- Wichita State University, Bachelor of Arts degree
- NewMarket Square, Wichita, KS – 800,000 SF – Power Center
- Twin Lakes Shopping Center, Wichita, KS – 350,000 SF – Mixed-use
- Park Place, Leawood, KS — 120,000 SF — High-end, mixed-use
- Edgewood Farms, Kansas City, MO — 175,000 SF — Entertainment, retail, restaurants
- Regency Park Shopping Center, Overland Park, KS — 200,000 SF — Grocery-anchored community center
- Crown Center Redevelopment — 350,000 SF — Family entertainment center, SeaLife, Legoland