Doug Main, ASA, CCIM, CEC, CRE, MAI, SGA is an Executive Vice President leading the national practice of waste management, environmental, mines, alternative energy, and complex matters for Valuation & Advisory Services. Mr. Main, a certified environmental consultant (CEC), has more than 25 years of advisory, litigation support, testimony, appraisal, damage claim consulting experience involving a wide variety of property and going-concern business matters.
Mr. Main has extensive experience and demonstrated a proven track record of devising creative solutions and decisions relating to complex, special purpose, environmental (i.e., contamination, event caused damages, wet land, riparian rights, superfunds sites, hazardous spills, etc.), alternative energy, waste management, recreation, sports, leisure/lifestyle/hospitality businesses and assets. His C-Suite relationships have resulted in a geographic experience that covers markets throughout the United States and internationally (e.g., Aruba, Australia, Bahamas, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Egypt, France, Germany, India, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Morocco, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, Trinidad and Tobago, and others).
Prior to his 12 years as a Managing Director at Deloitte and the National Leader in environmental, mining, waste management, alternative energy golf, leisure, recreation, and specialty services, Mr. Main was the Director of PricewaterhouseCoopers’(PWC) Golf/Recreation Group and Waste Group. At PwC he was national valuation practice leader managing staff in a number of regions across the country. Additional previous positions include principal and founder of The Main Group/GVI Consulting, which was acquired by PWC in 2001.
He has been published or quoted in the New York Times, Time Magazine, The Washington Post, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Merrill Lynch Research Report – Environmental Sector, Valuation Magazine, Orange County Business Journal, Los Angeles Times, Korpacz Real Estate Investor Survey®, The Boardroom, San Diego Tribune, Baltimore Business Journal, Urban Land Institute, PwC Global Real Estate Now, Waste News, Chartwell’s Solid Waste Digest, and Waste Age, Los Angeles Business Journal, Golf Business Magazine, and Crittenden's Resort Report/Golf Business & Real Estate. Mr. Main was a guest expert on a cable news channel with Bret Baier. Mr. Main was awarded Club Consultant of the Year by Boardroom Magazine.
Mr. Main was an instructor / trainer for Jones Day (law firm) at its National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA) program entitled Deposition and Testimony of Financial Expert Program held in Los Angeles, California (April 2016) and in Dallas, Texas (March 2017).
Additionally, Mr. Main has lectured and is a frequent speaker on such subjects as market studies, leasing, franchise and operational/management contracts, real estate and business valuation, financing, acquisition and disposition, property tax, damages, accounting reporting and compliance matters related to valuation, operational reviews and consulting. Mr. Main has presented various valuation and market demand seminars and/or education sessions for the Counselors of Real Estate (CRE), Urban Land Institute (ULI), American Society of Appraisers (ASA), Appraisal Institute (AI), International Right of Way Association (IRWA), International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO), Continuing Legal Education (CLE) International, Environmental Industry, International Electronics Recycling Conference, Crittenden, Waste Expo, National Golf Course Owners Association (NGCOA), Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) Merrill Lynch, Institute for International Research (IIR), National Golf Foundation (NGF), Renewable Waste, Urban Land Institute (ULI), and others.
Mr. Main’s experience includes valuation, consulting, litigation support and expert witness relating to vertical integrated multi-billion dollar waste companies / portfolios as well as related assets such as waste to energy facilities, landfills (e.g., MSW, C&D, inert, monofill, tire, hazardous, ash, industrial, etc.), waste-by-rail landfills, intermodal facilities, material recovery facilities (MRFs) and recycling centers and drop off facilities, transfer station, nuclear energy facilities and repositories, biomass / feed stock facilities, methane gas recovery systems, leachate facilities, composting facilities, post closure reuse and Brownfield sites, co-generation facilities, alternative energy, wind and solar farms and facilities, water / riparian rights, quarries, mines, batch plants, contamination properties, superfund sites, environmental sensitivity land, wetland, mitigation and carbon credits, natural resources, timber, as well as mining, landfill, oil and gas royalties, fracking facilities and related disposal sites, and other special purpose and going concern properties like golf clubs, country clubs, marinas, sports & event centers, arenas, stadiums, training facilities, professional teams, race tracks, beach clubs, swimming and tennis clubs, yacht clubs, gun clubs, ski resorts, water parks, family fun centers, theme parks, museums, movie studio, bowling alleys, RV parks, mobile home parks (MHP), islands, a variety of hospitality assets (e.g. timeshares and intervals, extended stay, B&Bs, luxury destination resorts, condo-hotels, casinos, etc.), large acreage, master plan communities, bundled and unbundled lifestyle resort communities, estate homes, multi-family, office, medical office buildings, retail centers, regional malls, C-stores, gas stations, industrial facilities, self-storage properties, agricultural and farm properties, silos, water rights, vacant land, cell towers, bank branches, nursing homes / assisted / independent living facilities, net leased investments, partial interests, cold storage facilities, and automobile dealerships.
Mr. Main’s specialized expertise includes portfolio valuation and analyses, merger and acquisition due diligence, investment and SOWT analyses, partial interest valuations, highest and best use analyses, event and damage claim matters, workouts and bankruptcy, property tax, estate tax and divorce valuations, financial and operating benchmarking, due diligence investigations and distressed real estate strategy and repositioning studies, market studies, purchase allocations, a variety of valuations and reviews for financial reporting purposes, asset impairment and FIRPTA valuations, as well as detrimental condition, damage, and event impact claim studies and valuations, and litigation support and expert witness testimony.
Mr. Main’s expertise includes the preparation and delivery of expert testimony for litigation involving bankruptcy, damages, valuation, economic analysis and the impact of detrimental conditions and events (e.g. economic, construction defect, contamination and regulatory). Mr. Main has provided expert testimony in number of states including California, Arizona, Texas, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, New York, New Hampshire, Washington, South Dakota, Montana, Illinois, Kansas, New Jersey, as well as internationally in Canada. He has also testified in District, Superior and Federal Courts, as well as in various mediation and arbitration venues, and has provided testimony more than 60 times. A sampling of litigation, damages, valuation assignments include:
- Computed damages caused to properties and businesses built on or around the superfund Mccoll site, which was used as a toxic dump. The environmental event related primarily to soil contamination (oil, etc.) and water runoff and related leachate.
- Valuation and litigation support engagement involving a retail center that involved the assessment and measure of damages caused by environmental contamination event.
- Engagement involved the valuation and purchase price allocation for a portfolio of marinas and houseboat operations located across the United States.
- Performed a valuation, damages and highest and best use analysis of Company that has issues with migrating gasses such as methane, carbon dioxide and volatile organic compounds, as well as metals in the groundwater.
- Mr. Main was designated as the valuation expert by the Department of Energy concerning the proposed high-energy nuclear repository site in Hanford, Washington. Also, he was a consultant for the Proposed Yucca Mountain Nuclear Repository located in Nye County, Nevada, the site was selected to become the nation’s only operational high-level nuclear repository.
- Provided litigation support, consultation and valuation services related to a world class, large acreage designation resort community that included a world class golf course, a private ski resort with chairlifts, ski runs and snowmaking facilities, a lodge, residential lots, condominiums, and other related amenities.
- Class action water contamination matter for a residential community. In this matter, potential diminution in property value was analyzed by comparing subject and control neighborhood market trends before and after discovery of contamination. Statistical analysis of market data provided insight to evaluate claims of stigma damage based on proximity to the source of contamination.
- Provided valuation and consulting services regarding the proper methodologies to assess curable and incurable damages associated with a manufacturer that at one time used and stored asbestos-contaminated materials (case involved air, groundwater and soil contaminants).
Professional Affiliations & Accreditations
- American Society of Appraisers (ASA)
- Commercial Investment Real Estate Institute (CCIM)
- Certified Environmental Consultant (CEC)
- Member of the Counselors of Real Estate (CRE)
- Member of the Appraisal Institute (MAI)
- Member of the Society of Golf Appraisers (SGA)
- National Association of Realtors (NAR)
- Former Manuscript Reviewer, Appraisal Institute (AI)
- Former Chair, Georgia Chapter of the Counselors of Real Estate (CRE)
- Former Secretary and Vice President, SGA (Society of Golf Appraisers)
- Former Co-chairman, Experience Credit Review Committee (SoCal Chapter)
- Awarded a Lifetime Teaching Credential to teach college-level Economics and Real Estate at California Community Colleges
- SWANA Landfill Operations — Part I & Part II
- Certified General Real Estate Appraiser in more than 12 states
- Masters in Applied Economics and Financial Analysis, Eastern Michigan University
- Bachelor of Science in Economics, Michigan State University
- Sanitary Landfill Design Class, University of Wisconsin, Madison
More than 80 professional courses and seminars including:
- The New Landfill Gas to Energy
- E-Waste Developments
- BV 201 – Introduction to Business Valuation
- Uniform Appraisal Standards for Federal Land Acquisition
- CAVSCC — Cost of Capital 4723, Las Vegas, NV
- BV 202 - Introduction to Business Valuation Part 2
- Railroad Transfer Stations: Unregulated or Regulated?
- An Introduction to Valuing Green Buildings, Atlanta, GA
- Transfer Station Workshop Part I: Pros & Cons of Building Your Business Valuation for Sale-of-Business or Estate Planning
- Carbon Finance – A Special Session Presented by World Bank
- Advanced Income Real Estate Appraisal
- BV203 Business Valuation Case Study
- Models of Landfill Processes Leachate Treatment
- BV301 — Valuation of Intangible Assets for Financial Reporting
- Purchase Price Allocations and Goodwill Impairment
- BV 204 - Advanced Topics in Business Valuation
- Uniform Appraisal Standards for Federal Land Acquisition
- Updated Valuation of Closely Held Private Equities – Part III
- Valuation of the Customer Relationships Intangible Asset
- Food Waste: New Frontier in Collection and Composting Economics
- Outlook & Trends in Producing Electricity from Waste
- Trends in Management of Hazardous Wastes
- US Bank
- Department of Energy
- Bank of Hawaii
- Nassau County, NY
- Waste Management
- Vulcan Materials
- International Marina
- Bank of America
- San Francisco Olympic Bid Committee
- Pacific Life
- Goldman Sachs
- Jack Nicklaus Companies
- State of Rhode Island
- Bank of California
- Bureau of Land Management (BLM)
- Republic Services
- Waste Connections
- Various Law Firms
- USA Hockey Association
- Pebble Beach Companies
- Coca-Cola Enterprises
- TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority)
- Florida Panthers
- Arnold Palmer Golf
- City of Arlington
- Contra Costa Solid Waste Authority
- City of San Diego, CA
- Commercial Bank
- Travis County, TX
- National Park Service
- City of Cincinnati, OH
- Rusnak Auto Group
- Recology Inc.
- City of Venture, CA
- CNL Lifestyles
- Starwood Capital
- KSL Recreation Corp
- GPB Capital
- California Portland Cement
- Alston & Bird, LLP
- Advance Disposal
- Vulcan Material Company
- US Ecology
- City of Bryan, TX
- Commercial Bank
- Casella Waste Systems
- City of Ft Worth, TX
- Greenberg Glusker Fields Claman & Machtinger, LLP
- Jones Day
- GPB Capital
- Municipal Water District of Southern California (MWDSC)
- U.S. Department of Justice
Sample of Speaking Engagements & Publications
- Speaker at the International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO) Conference, “The Payout: Understanding Casino/Gaming Valuations”, Grand Rapids, MI
- Speaker at the Appraisal Institute’s “Mastering Appraisal Fundamentals”, Atlanta, GA
- Speaker at the Environmental Industry Association, “Putting A Value on Your Business,” Las Vegas, NV
- Speaker for the Merrill Lynch hosted Waste Acquisition Industry Conference Call
- Speaker and Master of Ceremonies at the Appraisal Institute’s Western Regional Real Estate Conference at the Disneyland Hotel - “Resort Feasibility, Design and Valuation.”
- Speaker at Multiple Course Owners Conference “Where is the Money”, Monterey, CA
- Speaker at the MSW to Biofuel Conference “Biofuels Risk – The Role of Financial and Risk Analysis”, Orlando, FL.
- Speaker at Southern California Appraisal Institute Seminar in Cerritos, CA – “Appraising Special Purpose Properties.”
- Speaker at the AI National Conference “Appraising Special Purpose Properties: Waste Management, Quarries, Alterative Energy & Environment”, Dallas, TX.
- Speaker at the Appraisal Institute’s National Conference, San Antonio, TX, Two Topics: Lifestyle Properties: Going Concerns & Allocation Valuation Issues and The Future of Appraisal – Specialization
- Speaker at the Chartwell Waste Industry Summit, Tampa, FL
- Speaker, WasteExpo, topic “Business and Property Taxes: Know the Latest Rules”, Atlanta, GA
- Speaker at the Environmental Industry Summit, San Diego, CA
- Speaker at the International Association of Assessing Officers Conference in Miami Beach, FL – “Real Property Appraisal of a Waste Property.”
- Speaker at the Environmental Industry Summit, San Diego, CA
- Speaker at the International Association of Assessing Officers Conference in Los Angeles, CA – “Business Valuation - Waste Industry.”
- Speaker - “Valuation Procedures for the Waste Management Industry,” a seminar held in Chicago, IL sponsored by Waste Management of North America.
- Speaker at the International Association of Assessing Officers Conference in Orlando, Florida – “Trends in the American & International Waste Industry: The Impact on Value for Landfills.”
- Speaker at the International Association of Assessing Officers’ (IAAO) International Conference, “Avoiding Hazards: Challenges of Golf Course & Club Valuation”
- Speaker at Crittenden Conference, Nashville, TN – “How to Improve Your Bottom Line in Today’s Market.”
- Speaker at Crittenden’s Conference in Las Vegas, NV – “Buy/Sell Panel.”
- Speaker at Crittenden’s Conference in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida – “REITS and Their Impact on Value” and “The Sale/Leaseback Phenomenon.”
- Speaker at the Institute for International Research’s “Developing a Golf Course Community” three-day seminar on Hilton Head Island, SC. First seminar entitled “Financing Techniques to Get Ahead.” Second seminar entitled “Trends in the Industry - Discover the New Ideas in Development.
- Speaker at Crittenden’s Golf Conference in Chicago, Illinois – “Benefits of Operational Audits.”
- Speaker at Crittenden’s Golf Conference in Las Vegas, Nevada – “Buy/Sell Panel.”
- Writer and editor of The Golf Trend published in the PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC)/Korpacz Investment Report
- Author - “Overview: The European Golf Market”, PwC Global Real Estate Now
- Writer and editor of The SGA’s Golf Financing & Investment Survey
- Editor of the SGA’s The Drive industry publication
- Author “Opposites Attract: Landfills and Golf” - Golf Business Magazine
- Profiled in DeloitteLife magazine that is distributed worldwide to more than 300,000 employees/alumni
- Writer and editor of The Waste Trend published in the PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC)/Korpacz Investment Report
- Author - “Driving the Green with Bond Financing” - Los Angeles Business Journal