Jim Reid is a senior advisor at CBRE. Most recently, he successfully relaunched CBRE’s Southern Virginia operations following the firm’s decision to terminate an earlier affiliate arrangement.
In addition to his advisory role at CBRE, Mr. Reid serves as the Robert and Lauren Steers Chair for Global Real Estate at Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business. In this role, Mr. Reid focuses on enhancing the visibility of the Steers Center brand through his global network. Beginning 2020, he will teach the foundational real estate course for undergraduate students.
Previously Mr. Reid was Chief Operating Officer for the Americas, overseeing the financial and operational management of CBRE’s Americas business.
From 2002 to 2015, Mr. Reid was President of CBRE’s U.S. Eastern Division, with oversight of all geographies and lines of business operating within this area. At the time, the Eastern Division included over 40 offices in key markets such as Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Philadelphia, Tri-State (New York, Connecticut and New Jersey) and Washington, DC, and represented one of CBRE’s largest operating divisions with annual revenues exceeding $3 billion.
In 2001 and 2002, Mr. Reid was Chairman, EMEA Division, for CBRE’s operations across Europe, Middle East and Africa. From 1998 through 2000, Mr. Reid was Executive Managing Director, Investment Properties for the EMEA Division, leading a team of approximately 60 investment acquisition and sales professionals positioned across the region. This team completed approximately $5 billion in investment transactions in the year 2000.
From 1993 through 1997, Mr. Reid was Senior Vice President and Regional Manager-Investment Properties for the northeastern United States (including the key markets of New York, Boston and Washington DC). Earlier in his career, Mr. Reid held leadership and production positions at Cushman & Wakefield, Jones Lang Wootton and the Charles E Smith Companies (now JBG Smith), a major Washington, DC area developer and owner.
- The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) – Fellow
- Member, Global Executive Advisory Board – Gryphon Investors (San Francisco-based private equity firm)
- Advisory Board Member, Urban Land Institute (ULI) Washington
- Vice Chairman, Historic Annapolis Foundation
- White House Appointee to the National Infrastructure Advisory Council (NIAC) – Served from 2008 to 2019
- Real Estate Roundtable / Homeland Security Task Force – Past Chairman
- Harvard Business School, MBA
- University of Virginia, Bachelor of Science - Commerce