Joel Stephen is a Senior Vice President in the NYC office assisting retailers with expansion into and throughout the U.S. Joel also advises clients on global expansion leveraging 14 years of experience across Asia Pacific, the Middle East, Europe, Africa and the U.S. having transacted in more than 30 countries.
Joel spent his first six years working in London; initially with a UK-retail market focus before moving to CBRE’s EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) team—a central team located in London responsible for working with retailers on multi-market assignments, primarily across Europe.
Before moving to the U.S. in 2017, Joel spent nearly eight years in Asia. He was based in Shanghai for more than four years where he built and ran the retailer representation team in China, assisting 35 retailers with their entry into China. His role then expanded to Head of Retail Asia, at which point he relocated to Hong Kong. During his 3-year tenure there, Joel assisted retailers with expansion across the Asia region and helped CBRE achieve the leading market position in the region.
- Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Member of the International Council of Shopping Centers
- ICSC APAC Trustees Board Member 2015 – 2017
- CBRE Global Retail Board Member, 2014 – 2017 representing Asia
- CBRE Global Retail Analytics Group, 2016 – 2017, representing Asia
- CBRE Global Occupier Group, 2008 – 2017, representing Europe, then Asia