Kannan Sankaran is a Sr Vice President within CBRE Hotels Advisory’s Northeast Division, based out of the Washington, DC office. With more than 20 years of professional experience in the hospitality industry, he offers expertise in market and economic feasibility studies, strategic asset advisory assignments, acquisition and disposition due diligence, complex asset and business valuation assignments, impact analyses, litigation support, and development and operational planning. His consulting engagements cover a broad spectrum of real estate asset types including hotels, resorts, golf courses, marinas, conference/convention centers, and private schools (K-12).
Mr. Sankaran experience includes a borad array of clients such as private equity firms, real estate development companies, major sources of debt financing, major hotel companies, associations, public REITS, all branches of the United States Department of Defense, and numerous municipalities and public agencies. He has assisted clients on assignments throughout the U.S. including Hawaii, as well as in Canada, the Dominican Republic, Panama, Germany, Japan, England, and South Korea.
Mr. Sankaran holds Bachelor of Business Administration and Master of Tourism Administration degrees from The George Washington University’s School of Business. He is a frequent guest lecturer at university-level hotel school programs and related industry events and has been quoted in local and national publications.
Education & Professional Affiliations / Accreditations
- The George Washington University, Bachelor of Business Administration (Finance) - School of Business
- The George Washington University, Master of Tourism Administration (International Hotel Management) - School of Business
- National and Regional Lending Institutions (Wells Fargo, HSBC Bank USA, GE Capital Real Estate, Pacific Western Bank, Mesa West, United Overseas Bank, Citibank N.A.)
- Public Real Estate Investment Trusts (Ashford Hospitality Trust, Pebblebrook Hotel Trust, Host Hotels & Resorts)Major Hotel Companies (Marriott International, Inc., Hilton Worldwide, Choice Hotels International, Hyatt Hotels Corporation)
- Various Municipalities and other Public Entities (Maryland Economic Development Corporation, City of Rockville, Farfax County Park Authority)
- Hotel Management Companies (Destination Hotels & Resorts, Crestline Hotels & Resorts, Interstate Hotels & Resorts, Hospitality Partners)
- Financial Services Providers (Phillips Realty Capital)
- Law Firms and Legal Counsel (Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP)
- Domestic and Foreign Private Sector Developers, Owners, & Investors
- United States Department of Defense Organizations (US Air Forces Services, Marine Corps Community Services, US Army MWR, Commander Navy Installations Command, OSD MC&FP Strategy and Innovation Office)
- Advised Hines on their plans to develop the 360-room Conrad Washington, DC as part of the high-profile 10-acre CityCenterDC mixed-use development. The luxury hotel is expected to open in Q3 2018.
- Served as advisor to the Maryland Economic Development Corporation with regard to the state-owned 400-room Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa and Marina, which was funded in large part through the issuance of more than $120M in tax-exempt revenue bonds.
- Conducted a market analysis for the development of the nearly 30,000-acre Cap Cana resort in the Dominican Republic. The resort features five hotel properties and a Jack Nicklaus signature golf course, as well as a number of dining, retail, and other facilities.
- Conducted multiple valuation assignments for the 1,070-room Washington Hilton, one of DC’s flagship hotels that contains the city’s largest hotel ballroom space.
- Assisted the United States Air Force in evaluating its portfolio of recreation and other service offerings at 71 main operating bases both in the United States and abroad in response to mandated budget and staff cuts. Installation-specific recommendations were projected to save approximately $27M over a seven-year period.
- Performed several vacation cost comparison studies over the past 17 years for the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association, demonstrating through a detailed cost build-up that family vacations using recreation vehicles are generally more economical than more traditional vacation types.
- Consulted on the development of a tourism master plan for the country of Panama’s tourism branch, Instituto Panameno de Turismo.
- Completed hundreds of market and economic feasibility studies for hotels across all chain scales and located primarily in the Mid and South Atlantic regions of the United States.
- Valued dozens of hotels and resorts located predominantly in the Mid and South Atlantic regions of the United States.
- Conducted dozens of project validation assessment studies for recreation and other service offerings at United States military installations worldwide.