Matt leads a specialized private equity practice advising sponsors and their portfolio companies to unlock significant financial and operational improvements from leased or owned real estate. The practice was formed in response to the 2008 global financial crisis to improve operating performance, cash flow and EBITDA; and to provide capital markets strategies to generate proceeds.
Over the last decade, Matt has advised more than 100 PE-owned portfolio companies with tactical real estate strategies resulting in over $400 million of annual savings and enterprise value creation exceeding $2.5 billion. His work spans portfolio companies in every sector, including Technology, Industrials, Healthcare and Life Sciences. Matt works with a variety of investment strategies, including buyout, distressed and infrastructure funds.
With nearly 20 years of experience in real estate, Matt brings the perspective gained working through multiple business cycles and a deep understanding of all facets of commercial real estate. His unparalleled understanding of the CBRE platform allows him to consult holistically on the needs of his private equity clients. He provides consultative expertise developing opportunity assessments, benchmarking analysis, portfolio optimization, headquarters strategies, M&A due diligence, build-to-suit developments, acquisitions, dispositions, and capital market strategies throughout the U.S. and globally.
Matt’s team delivers CBRE’s best-of-class execution across an array project types, from the most complex headquarters or build-to-suits to more common requests including, capital market strategies on sale leasebacks, leasing transactions, and alternative capital solutions for PE-owned and occupied real estate.
Since joining in 2002, Matt’s experience at CBRE includes serving as a Managing Director for CBRE’s Global Workplace Solutions (GWS) group where he developed subject matter expertise on how to utilize the CBRE platform for cost savings in facilities management, project management and transaction services. He was also a Vice President in Boston and completes transactions in the New York Tri-State area.
Prior to CBRE, Matt served as Treasurer and Board of Directors member of a private equity backed company. Matt volunteers in the community and coaches youth sports.
Professional Affiliations / Accreditations
- CBRE Global Advisory, Capital Markets, Consulting Services
- Douglass Foundation Business Plan Evaluator
- Assisted Living Facility volunteer and Youth Sports Coach
- 2018 CBRE Client Outcome of the Year Award, Americas, Team Member
- 2016, 2018, 2019 CBRE Advisory Award
- 2015 CBRE GWS Global Award Winner: Account Excellence, AHS Hillcrest Healthcare
- 2015 CBRE Regional Leadership Advisory Team
- 2013 CBRE STAR Account Award for leadership in the private equity sector
- 2012 CBRE Partnership Award for integration of service lines across the global platform
- Babson College, M.B.A., distinction
- University of Denver, B.A.
- Coursework, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Industrial Portfolio: Versailles, IN, Euclid, OH, Merrill, WI, Martin, TN, Osgood, IN, Sale Leaseback
- Industrial Portfolio: Moselle, MS, Bedford Park, IL, Sale Leaseback
- 225 West Superior Street, Chicago, IL, Sale Leaseback
- 140 Wharton Road, Bristol, PA, Sale Leaseback
- 4805 G Street, Omaha, NE, Sale
- 3820 150th Avenue NE, Redmond, WA, Sale
- 110 Milacron Drive, Fountain Inn, SC, Sale
- Industrial Land, Sao Paulo, Brazil, Sale for Private Equity Firm
- Industrial Land, Buenos Aires, Argentina, Sale for Private Equity Firm
- ABS Ventures
- AIS (acquired by Haworth)
- Ardent Health Services (acquired by Ventas)
- BSA Health System (acquired by Ventas)
- Checkers Safety Group
- Elgin Equipment Group
- Elgin Fasteners Group
- EXAL Group
- EY (Ernst & Young)
- Fairhaven Capital
- FORO Energy
- HealthEdge Software
- Hillcrest Healthcare System
- ICP Group
- K2M Group Holdings
- Keller Labs
- Kiva Systems (acquired by Amazon)
- Koda Enterprises Group (acquired by Azelis Group)
- Lovelace Health System (acquired by Ventas)
- Lytx (acquired by GTCR)
- Longworth Venture Partners
- Lovelace Health System (acquired by Ventas)
- Magnitude Software
- Mobile Mini (NASDAQ: MINI)
- National Dentex
- Quest Specialty Chemicals
- Reed Group (acquired by Guardian)
- Rogue Wave Software
- Sanofi (formerly Genzyme)
- Simeio Solutions
- Smile Brands
- Solstas Lab Partners (acquired by Quest Diagnostics)
- Springstone, Inc.
- Superior Manufacturing Group
- Universal American Corporation (NYSE: UAM)
- US Anesthesia Partners
- US Oncology (acquired by McKesson)
- Valeritas (OTC: VLRX)