- Consumer Goods
- Transportation & Distribution
- Third Party Logistics
- Aerospace & Defense
Mr. Sakai has over 30 years of supply chain, consulting, and customer management experience. He has specialized for more than 12 years in supply chain consulting in functional areas including strategy and business case development, supply chain network design, transportation analysis, inventory optimization, supply chain outsourcing, global supply chain solutions, strategic sourcing, visibility solutions, and organizational design.
Currently, Mr. Sakai is the Director of Supply Chain Advisory for the United States. He oversees a team of supply chain professionals, project managers, modelers, data scientists, engineers and business analysts to help clients solve business problems where supply chain intersects with real estate.
Prior to joining CBRE, Mr. Sakai led the supply chain consulting practice in the Americas, Asia and Europe for UTi Worldwide. Prior to that, Kelvin was a Senior Manager in the New Product Development and Strategy practice with Ernst & Young Management Consulting. Earlier in his career Kelvin was an aerospace engineer managing airline customers for Boeing.
- Developed the global supply chain strategy for a multinational consumer products company that incorporated alignment with corporate strategy, organizational design, implementation, and ongoing continuous improvement portfolio management.
- Executed a global network analysis for a global mining equipment manufacturer to integrate the supply chains across its various business lines. The resulting business case documented millions of dollars in short term savings with significantly improved service to its customers around the world.
- Defined a Latin American distribution strategy for a global industrial client whereby the western region would be served by Chile, the eastern region from Brazil, and Central America from a combination of Chile, Brazil and their Global Distribution Center in Canada.
- Developed the business case for global toy company to relocate its existing U.S. distribution center from the Pacific Northwest to Southern California, resulting in faster inbound and outbound transit times, lower warehousing costs and reduced distribution costs and improved service levels for its customers.
- Identified over $8M in annual recurring savings through outsourcing and reengineering of single warehouse operation for one of our consumer electronics clients.
- Executed a network optimization project that created the business case for a global manufacturer of kitchen countertops to locate their first-ever U.S.-based manufacturing plant in the U.S. Southeast.
- Designed a 48-hour expedited shipment solution for a global aerospace manufacturer between over 100 suppliers in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico and manufacturing locations in Europe. Solution design required the integration of capabilities amongst the global freight forwarder, FedEx, Delta Air Lines, and Integra Logistics of Mexico.
- Reduced overall supply chain costs 7% and increased service levels 33% for important consumer products client by designing new warehousing and distribution footprint in North America.
- Identified and defined solutions, increasing utilization of ocean containers over 10% for chemical products client.
- Reengineered the customs brokerage and clearance process for global automotive manufacturer for its parts coming from Brazil for entry into the U.S. Reduced outbound and inbound customs clearance times from an average of 27 days to an average of 7-8 days.
- Led a team that developed the wireless Internet strategy and business model for a spin-off division of a large global telecommunications company.
- APICS (American Production and Inventory Control Society)
- CSCMP (Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals)
- Master of Business Administration, University of Southern California
- Master of Science, Aerospace Engineering, University of Southern California
- Bachelor of Science, Aerospace Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles