Asia Pacific Infographics - Retail Hotspots in Asia Pacific 2015
- Retail Hotspots in Asia Pacific, CBRE Research’s annual monitor of cross-border retailer activity, found that the number of new retailer entrants into and across the region continued to rise in 2015. More than 500 new entrants were recorded over the course of the year.
- The increase in new entrants was confined to gateway cities. The top five markets - Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, Taipei and Beijing - accounted for around 60% of new entrants, up from 54% in 2014.
- Strong consumer demand for retailtaiment continued to support the growth in the number of new F&B entries. Retailers in the Coffee and Restaurants category accounted for 33% of new entrants in 2015, compared to 22% in 2014.
- Despite retail market headwinds in Hong Kong and Singapore, the downturn will create opportunities for international retailers to enter these markets as rents decline. Landlords will also be looking to attract new-to-market brands to replace underperforming tenants and lure more consumers.
- Cross-border retail activity in the Pacific is expected to strengthen this year amid robust expansionary demand from international fashion and luxury brands. A significant increase in new entrants will be seen in gateway cities including Sydney, Melbourne and Auckland.