John R. Miller is the Senior Managing Director for the Seattle and Portland markets and Market Leader for the Greater Seattle region, overseeing all CBRE service lines and approximately 2,000 employees, including nearly 200 transactional professionals.
Initially joining CBRE in 2012 as Managing Director of Brokerage Services, John has over 25 years of experience in commercial real estate in the Northwest. In his current role, John is responsible for the strategic direction and performance of five offices in Washington, promoting the CBRE brand and providing guidance and support to local professionals to produce positive client outcomes.
Mr. Miller’s extensive background within the commercial real estate industry includes work in property and facilities management, asset management, and construction management. His corporate financial background also gives him the unique skillset regarding lease and investment sale analyses and negotiation. His ability to communicate and strategize effectively with colleagues across multiple service lines promotes a collaborative environment and broader service offering for clients.
Prior to joining CBRE, Mr. Miller served as Senior Managing Director for Cushman & Wakefield, where he oversaw the company’s operations in the Puget Sound region. During his tenure, he also served as Senior Managing Director of Cushman & Wakefield of Oregon. Under his direction, the brokerage presence in the Pacific Northwest nearly doubled and revenues across the region tripled.
Mr. Miller previously served as Corporate Controller for Unico Properties for two years before transitioning into an operational role with the company as General Manager of a 1.7 million square foot real estate portfolio in downtown Seattle. He started his career in 1992 at Alaska Northwest Properties, Inc., a former real estate subsidiary of Alaska Air Group, and worked in various financial functions, including as the company’s Controller.
Professional Affiliations / Accreditations
- CBA Member, 2019 Treasurer
- Washington State University, National Board of Advisors
- Dean’s Advisory Board - 2014 to present
- Real Estate Advisory Board - 2007 to 2011
- Commercial Brokers Association, Board Member - 2005 to present; Chairman – 2011; Treasurer - Present
- Boys & Girls Clubs of King County, Corporate Board - 2002 to 2010;
- Building Committee Chairman – 2005 to 2009
- Champions Counsel – 2018
- Metropolitan Improvement District (MID), Chairman - 2008
- NAIOP, Member
- “40 under 40” - Puget Sound Business Journal, 2004
- “Rising Star” - Commercial Property News, 2007
- CBRE Global Workplace Solutions LMA Partnership Award, 2015 & 2017
- Washington State University, Bachelor of Arts; Business Accounting, 1992
- University of Washington Real Estate Certification program, 2000