Government Project & Program Management
Broward County Courthouse
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Corporate Interiors, Engineering and Program Management
Broward County is the second largest county in Florida, with 1.6 million residents relying on the Broward County Judicial System to serve their needs. So, when outdated and overburdened facilities were becoming a roadblock for citizens in accessing the justice system, Broward County moved forward in developing a new, fully integrated courthouse and judicial campus.
Because of the project's specific mix of court types and support spaces, functional planning and programming was a key element in the design to ensure the spaces meet their intended needs, as well as to provide proper circulation and security throughout the facility.
The joint venture of CBRE Heery Inc., Spillis Candela and Cartaya had been working with the county since 2005 in master planning and conceptual design of the 18-acre campus to accommodate planned growth through the year 2030.
The design of the new courthouse creates a timeless civic landmark that reflects the importance of the justice system while bolstering the court’s need for security, flexibility and sustainability. Key components of the project are:
- Secure parking for 120 judges and department heads
- Secure bridge that connects the parking lot to the entire courts complex
- Bridge for general public
- Secure bridge for incarcerated people and elevators to move them from holding cells to courtrooms
- Separate waiting areas to allow children or spouses to remain sequestered from others in their families
- Court Administrative space
- State Attorney and Sheriff Department space
- Chambers adjacent to courtroom to provide efficient, private circulation for the judges
- A new landscaped plaza