2023 U.S. Life Sciences Outlook
3 Minute Read
Outlook for 2023
- Previous cycles show that any slowdown in life sciences employment likely won’t be as severe as that of the broader economy. An uptick in venture funding in Q4 2022 was a hopeful sign for employment stabilization later this year since employment changes generally mirror funding changes after a two-quarter lag. However, recent turmoil in the banking sector could cause quarterly reductions in funding this year.
- The capital markets outlook is mixed. While venture capital funding and initial public stock offerings for life sciences companies decreased in 2022 and challenges remain, record levels of NIH funding and R&D expenditures by the industry will fuel continued growth.
- With ample cash and equivalents on the balance sheets of U.S. life sciences companies, another strong year of M&A activity and other business development transactions is expected in 2023.
- After a surge in life sciences lab/R&D investment sales in 2021, cap rates for these assets are beginning to stabilize and should remain favorable compared with other property types.
- While lab/R&D vacancy rates in the top U.S. life sciences markets have begun to rise, above-average and steady demand will underpin the sector’s resilience in the year ahead.
We provide the life sciences industry solutions that maximize facility and investment performance across labs, manufacturing space and critical enviro...
- Article | Evolving Workforces
Integrated lab and extended reality solutions: the augmented future of lab asset management with CBRE
February 21, 2023 5 Minute Read
CBRE has pioneered the use of direct collaboration with original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and on-site troubleshooting, driving forwards faster installatio...
- Chapter | Intelligent Investment
U.S. Real Estate Market Outlook 2023: Life Sciences
December 13, 2022 5 Minute Read
In 2023, Pandemic-fueled demand and capital infusion will give way to more normal market conditions, with better opportunities for occupiers.
- Report | Adaptive Spaces
Flexible Office Trends in Life Sciences 2022
November 7, 2022 8 Minute Read
Life sciences companies are seeing an increase in flexible office space adoption and new demand for flexible labs, according to a survey by CBRE’s Agile Practice.
- Brief | Intelligent Investment
Lab/R&D Space Market Remains Strong Despite H1 2022 Drop in Life Sciences Funding
August 3, 2022 3 Minute Read
After peaking in 2021, life sciences funding has plunged this year due to market uncertainty.
Richard Barkham, Ph.D.
Global Chief Economist, Head of Global Research & Head of Americas Research
Senior Vice President, Global Head of Occupier Thought Leadership & Research Consulting
Americas Life Sciences Leader, Advisory
Insights in Your Inbox
Stay up to date on relevant trends and the latest research.