Global E-commerce Outlook 2022 Update
What is driving e-commerce growth in different markets?
07 Jun 2022 2 Minute Read
E-commerce is driving robust industrial & logistics property demand. CBRE Global Research has conducted an analysis of e-commerce’s future growth and its impact on 48 global industrial & logistics markets.
- E-commerce has rapidly grown over the past five years.
- Internet sales surged in most markets in 2020 and 2021 due to the COVID pandemic, though have since moderated.
- Certain key factors, including demography, internet usage, culture and infrastructure, are driving e commerce growth.
- E-commerce penetration will grow further as the presence of e-commerce drivers gradually increases.
- As much as 200 million sq. m. of additional e commerce-dedicated logistics space will be required globally over the next five years to support the growth of internet sales.
- Low-vacancy markets with little available land for new development will need to consider adaptive reuse of other property types or increase the operational capacity of existing supply.
48 MARKETSwere analyzed.
28 FACTORS DRIVING E-COMMERCEwere explored.
SIX KEY DRIVERS WERE IDENTIFIEDthat better explain e-commerce levels.
AN INDEX WAS CREATEDto measure the strength of these drivers in different markets.
A FORECAST WAS PRODUCEDfor e-commerce penetration rates per market and additional logistics space required.
Updates since previous version
ENHANCED OUR MODEL ACCURACYwith new data series on digital payments.
EXPANDED THE NUMBER OF MARKETSwe analyzed.
TOOK INTO ACCOUNT THE IMPACT OF EASING COVID RESRICTIONSe-commerce penetration rates in certain markets.
OVERLAID LOGISTICS SPACE SUPPLY METRICSto identify supply-constrained markets.