Global Occupancy Insights 2021-2022
How does your portfolio measure up?
15 Nov 2021 57 Minute Read
Corporate real estate decision-makers are planning for the hybrid workplace of the future, but there’s no one-size-fits-all approach. To find the right path forward, planners need benchmark data to compare their portfolios and strategies with how peers are using office space now and how they’re preparing for tomorrow.
We surveyed some major occupiers to develop a comprehensive picture of space planning and utilization trends worldwide—and found major shifts underway in occupancy management that will forever alter the workplace:
- Occupiers are redesigning spaces to support new work models.
63% are changing the way they’re designing space
80% are redesigning collaborative spaces
- Hybrid work is the new norm.
71% have mobility programs that enable employees to work from anywhere
80% are actively mobilizing or considering increasing the percentage of employees in activity-based seating
- Utilization is the key benchmark.
21% track vacancy, once the primary performance metric
83% track or are planning to track utilization, which measures actual space usage
- Technology is at the forefront.
90%+ use technology to track floor plans and occupancy data on an ongoing basis
86% integrate data from other parts of their business into their technology platforms
Looking for a PDF version?
What’s in the report
CBRE Global Occupancy Insights is based on a comprehensive survey of major clients, managing more than 350 million sq. ft. of space worldwide, and occupancy metrics and measurements from 12,000 buildings. The wide-ranging report includes:
- Occupancy metrics, space standards, workplace programs and utilization data to help design workplaces and benchmark performance
- Strategies to optimize portfolio performance, including how to incorporate coworking, meet the growing need for lab space and improve space allocation and chargebacks
- Insights on ever-expanding technology options that measure portfolio performance and integrate space metrics with data from other business lines to deliver valuable, actionable insights